The Greer Hive Times

Band and Chorus Spread Holiday Cheer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Band and Chorus Spread Holiday Cheer

Whitney Campbell, Staff Writer

GREER — The Greer High School concert band and choral department displayed their holiday spirit at the most festive concert of the year.

The Choral department kicked off the celebration with the freshman members singing “Beautiful December.” Freshman Jennifer Moemyat kept the magic going when she sang her solo in the song “All I Want for Christmas is you.” The chorus segment was closed with an absolutely amazing acapella of “Carol of the Bells.”

The Chorus did so while standing on their brand new risers like they were awards on a pedestal. A special thanks goes out to Bradley D. Wingate Academic Specialist for Visual & Performing Arts. He provided the necessary means for new concert and risers for the classroom.

Senior and Chorus member Morgan Hipp was the voice feature in the song “Grown up Christmas List” and everyone was blown away by her talent. When asked about how she felt she said, ¨The band did really good. I felt like they did a good job of supporting me. I felt like it was one of the best performances that I’ve had.¨

When asked about Morgans´ performance Band Director Jeff Norman said, ¨I thought it went very well. I thought they did an excellent job considering they didn’t have a whole lot of time to practice that with the band… I was very pleased with it.¨ Later when talking about the band he added, ¨I thought they did great. They seemingly always amazing me. Last night was really the combination of them being prepared and having an audience. It all comes together when it needs to… The band and chorus had a small part in assisting families in need here at Greer High school.¨

Last year the holiday band concert partnered with Greer Relief and collected canned goods for the program. It was a big success. This year the Leo club asked if they could collaborate with them. Before the concert canned goods were collected instead of a price of admission. Although money was not mandatory the Leo club received $340 dollars in donations, many nonperishable food items, and a few even toys.

The musical aspects of Greer High School’s fine arts department are not finished yet. The Orchestra Holiday concert will be Thursday the twentieth. Admission will be free.

Whitney Campbell, Staff Writer

My name is Whitney Campbell. I am a senior at Greer high school. This is my second year with the newspaper. I am also the color guard captain. I absolutely...