The Greer Hive Times

West Side Story Continues This Weekend at Greer High

Ella Casto-Waters and Jessie Vinkemulder, Feature Writers

GREER–

Tonight, tonight, it all continues tonight! West Side Story opened last Friday night with a dazzling performance (5/4/18). The show continued to run performances all throughout last weekend and resumes tonight (5/11/18). We encourage anyone with an interest, love, or even passion for musical theatre to buy a ticket, relax, and enjoy the tragic love story of Tony (Brady Henderson) and Maria (Keddy Mendoza). The story of Tony and Maria is the story of two, star-crossed lovers. Tony’s best friend, Riff (Tayes Woodham), is the leader of the Jets- a gang of young American boys who rival the Sharks. The Sharks are led by Maria’s older brother- Bernardo (Tony Blair). Bernardo’s love interest Anita (Kendall Lanford) offers guidance to Maria throughout the play. As the tale of the pairing continues, the already-existing  rivalry between the two gangs reaches a climax and the fate of the couple is left hanging in the balance.

The show is actionpacked and supported by the amazing pit singers, otherwise known as the Voices of Greer High.  As audience members, we give serious props to Mr. Morton, the director of the show who did an incredible job bringing the abstract world of the story to life. Keddy Mendoza and Brady Henderson each bring their own element to the renowned roles of Maria and Tony. Mendoza’s voice and Henderson’s charm compel the audience to fall in love with the characters. However, the performances of Kendall Lanford (Anita) and Tayes Woodham (Riff) are not to be forgotten and instead celebrated! The acting abilities of both Lanford and Woodham wowed the audience and left them begging for more. Also, the chemistry between Anita and Bernardo was incredibly real. The passion between these two is reason alone to go see the show. Don’t like romance? West Side Story also offers a surplus amount of humor which is delicately and appropriately integrated throughout the show, especially within the cast of the Jets. Action-Boy (Darrell Taylor) and Anybodys (Meghan Roum) are both hilarious and authentic in their roles and bring a light, funny aspect to the show.

However, no show is complete without it’s ensemble. All of the ensemble parts added to the performance, and the show certainly wouldn’t have been the same without their hours upon hours of contribution. The ensemble had incredible voices that they projected even in the midst of the fast paced choreography. Greer High School’s West Side Story is a must-see! Get your ticket tonight and tomorrow at 7:00, or at the Matinee on Sunday at 3:00. Don’t miss it!

Highlights of the Show:

-“America”

-“Gee, Officer Krupke”

– “The Rumble” Scene