The Greer Hive Times

Life Lessons by Jayna

Jayna De Pauw, Staff Writer

This year is my first year of high school, and I have learned a lot so far just from the first semester. Here are some things that you can do to make the 2nd semester as good as it can get… with it being school and all.

First, don’t start making expectations and assumptions. If you have expectations for anything or anyone you will be given the opportunity to become disappointed, and honey that isn’t fun.

Second, in all seriousness, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. I know, I know, it takes up the time you would rather be watching your favorite Netflix TV show, or the time you play on your Xbox, but it really does help in the long run. I have learned that procrastination really is not the best way to go about school… but we will talk about that another time. If you don’t do your homework or study, you most definitely will fall behind in your classes, especially if moving at AP or honor class level. So kids stay in school and do your work. Remember your show or game will not magically disappear after only one night.

Third, I have also learned how to manage my priorities and set aside enough time for everything I need to get done. The best thing to do is get a planner and record all of your plans, test dates, extracurricular activity times, and when you have to stay before or after school. This way you can keep organized with when you are free and busy. You will be able to see how much homework you need to get done and by what day. I usually set time for myself to relax for about an hour after I get home, then I start my homework, eat dinner, then finish my homework usually by 7-9pm depending on what I need to get done. It is best to follow a schedule every night, and set time out of your schedule for the things you enjoy, because school is very tiring and everyone needs a break for at least a little while everyday.

Finally, if you get all of the hard work and effort out of the way you can usually chill out and have a little fun with your friends on the way during your long high school experience. So try your hardest not to stress too much, everything will work out in time. High school is only what you make of it. You can make it miserable and depressing and always focus on the negative. Or, you can make the best of it, enjoy the small things, and cherish the time you that you are not an adult. Once you are an adult… things only go downhill, or that’s what I hear at least.