The Greer Hive Times

Bringing Awareness

Thomas Hicks and Emily Robertson, Staff Writers

• Depression is a mental health disorder characterized by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life (chemical imbalance in the brain)
  • Anxiety is a mental health disorder characterized by feelings of worry, anxiety, or fear that are strong enough to interfere with one’s daily activities (can cause anxiety attacks)
  • Bipolar is a disorder associated with episodes of mood swings ranging from depressive lows to manic highs (could also be bipolar depression)

Mental health is a serious thing that is not really talked about in the educational system. If you’re depressed or anxious you will be sent to the guidance counselor, and with bipolar disorder, anxiety, and depression it could be judged as “he has an attitude,” or “she will not sit her head up,” and that could lead to ISS or OSS,. Sadly neither of these things are the solution to the real problem. We get it that the parents should send them to counseling or give them medication but with their kids being at school and the parents being at work they can’t control what happens to their children. Schools should improve how they handle mental health issues. It is an issue that should be spoken up about so that people can feel that they are not alone.

High schools should have groups of people with similar issues to come together and just talk. Kids and even teachers should be able to get together and talk about their problems because talking about something is better then keeping it in. Students don’t really have the time to get together and talk about these types of situations, so if they were given an opportunity to talk to others, I think it would benefit the students mood drastically.