The Greer Hive Times

Greer Relief

Emily Williams and Anna Allen, Staff Writer

Greer Relief is a foundation dedicated to giving back to their community. They are a non-profit organization and their goal is to better their community.

The foundation helps with things such as hunger prevention and homelessness prevention. They believe in their citizens well being and their goal is to see them thrive.

Do you help other people or just yourself? Have you ever just sat down and thought about how you treat others? Many may say we are the most selfish generation, but I believe we are actually good people. Everybody is created to be nice and selfless. If we were so “selfish” many wouldn’t become doctors, lawyers, teachers, police officers, firefighters, etc. We as people naturally want to help and learn from/for each other.

Why are people “becoming selfish?” I believe it’s society telling people that they need to be about themselves. Everyone has moments where they are all about themselves and don’t care what others think. I’ll admit I have those moments sometimes, when I feel like I did something that no one else can do. I feel like I’m the best thing in the world but in reality, I’m as equal as everyone else. Caring about only yourself doesn’t make you feel this strong storm of happiness fall over you or the feeling of being a “hero” that human crave to have.

A lot of people in this world want to help people who can’t help themselves, for example there are adoption centers for a reason, there are hospitals for a reason, there is extra help. For a reason. Just think, if people were really that “selfish” then why do we even talk to others, wouldn’t we think if we we were “too perfect” to have friends? Just to update you, I have friends, you have friends, which means you’re probably not a very selfish person, you want to love, support and be around your friends. Now I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound very self-centered to me.