The student news site of Greer High School ~ 3000 East Gap Creek Road ~ Greer, SC 29651 ~ 864.355.5700 ~ 864.355.5725

The Greer Hive Times

Peer Tutoring Goes the Distance to Build Friendships and Relationships

Greer High School senior Austin Taylor (left) and junior Jesse Hitt escort sophomore Ayana Leyva during the Homecoming Pep Rally Friday in the school's gymnasium. Both students are members of the Greer High School Transition Program.

Whitney Campbell

Whitney Campbell

Anna Allen, Staff Writer

GREER — Big Brothers, Big Sisters of America is a foundation that works with children to help them be successful in school and to help them build a brighter future.

Greer High School has a program similar to this called Peer Tutoring.

Peer Tutoring is a class that regular education students can choose to take. These students get the opportunity to work with students with intellectual disabilities, or serve as a “big brother or big sister”, and even build long-lasting friendships.

“It means a lot that there is so much love for these students,” said Greer High School Instructor Becky Barnett. “The peer tutors are essential to our program because they make it possible to provide individual support for their academic and community skills and instruction.”

The Peer Tutoring class leaves campus everyday and travels to locations such as the Post Office, and the grocery store so the students can learn how to live in a community.

Barnett feels that the class enables students to make connections they may not had previously had the opportunity to make. “My students’ parents will sometimes tell me that they never imagined their teenager would make friends of their own,” Barnett said.

David Pineros is a senior at Greer High School and absolutely loves his peer tutor, Kevin Cruz, who treated him with a trip out to eat at El Mariachi.

Pineros enjoys basketball and, “likes going to basketball games.” Pineros’ favorite part of the year is Homecoming.

The reward of the class goes to both students. Greer High School junior Brittney Rodriguez said she has truly enjoyed her time with Peer Tutoring. “I was a little nervous, when I got there,” Rodriguez said. “The students are so welcoming and they give you a hug. They want to know your name. They are so kind and the nerves went away.”

Rodriguez wanted the opportunity due to relationships in her family. Rodriguez’s mother, Alexandra, works with Intensive Foster Care children. “There is still kindness in the world,” Rodriguez said. “There are so many bad things in the world. To know that there is still kindness in the world is very comforting.”