Cornell Wins Homecoming Queen Crown; Yellow Jackets Rout Devildogs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Greer High School Senior Emma Cornell smiles as she is crowned Homecoming Queen Friday night at Halftime of the Yellow Jackets' game against Travelers Rest High School.

Emily Williams

Emily Williams

Emily Williams

Staff Reports

GREER — Greer High School Senior Emma Cornell capped-off Homecoming Week 2016 Friday night by being named Homecoming Queen at Halftime of the Yellow Jackets’ 55-21 rout of Travelers Rest High School at Dooley Field.

Cornwell was not expecting to hear her name called. “Of course, I was shocked when I heard my name,” Cornell said. “I was not expecting it all. I was really surprised that my peers voted me to hold a title.”

Cornell is proud to be a part of an honored tradition in the Greer Community. “Just to be a part of what is a tradition that is so close to Greer that is taken seriously,” Cornell said. “It is an honor to even hold the title.”

Students voted for members of the Homecoming Court during Advisory, so it meant so much to Cornell that her title was given to her by her classmates. “There are no words,” Cornell said. “It is definitely an experience that I will never forget. Probably one of my best experiences that I have had at Greer.”

Emma Kate Rhymer was named Senior Princess, while Laura Brown was named Junior Princess. Hannah Bowens was named Sophomore Princes, while Carson Hannon was named Freshman Princess.

The Yellow Jackets won their fourth game in a row after falling to Class AAAAA Westside and Byrnes High School at the beginning of the season.

The Yellow Jackets are now 1-0 in Class AAAA, Region 2 with conference games against Eastside, Union County and Blue Ridge High School remaining. The Yellow Jackets will also travel to Class AAAA, Region 1 Greenville High School on October 14.