Yellow Jackets Fall to Tigers on Volleyball “Pink Out” Night

Emily Williams

Greer High School senior Tori Schneider rises to hit the volleyball Tuesday night in the Yellow Jackets’ match against rival Blue Ridge High School.

Staff Reports

GREER — In what proved to be a highly competitive volleyball match, Greer High School fell to rival Blue Ridge High School, 20-25, 19-25, 25-12, 16-25, Tuesday night at Greer High School. With the loss, Greer falls to 2-2 in the Region 2 Conference.

Greer (8-9) hosted its annual “Pink Out” night as the Yellow Jackets joined the fight against Breast Cancer. “We have Pink Out games for two main reasons,” said Greer High School Volleyball Coach Traci Farrington. “One reason is to teach our players to be partners with our community to help make it better. To develop a servant’s heart by doing something outside of ourselves.  It teaches them to use the skill of teamwork and to persevere no matter the situation in other areas than just volleyball…it teaches life lessons to see these folks fight everyday to just survive.”

The Yellow Jackets were led by senior Lindsey Jarecki’s 11 kills, 15 assists, four aces, 10 digs and one solo block. Senior Tori Schneider added nine kills, 15 assists, one ace, nine digs, two solos blocks, and four block assists.

Even though the Yellow Jackets fell in the match, $526 was raised for charity. “The most important reason is to raise money to help the fight against cancer,” Farrington said. “Everyone of our players as well as the fans that attended the game knew/knows someone who has fought or fighting the battle of cancer. Most of our players have family members that have battled it.  We want to do all we can to get us closer to a cure.”

Donations are being accepted until October 15. Please contact Farrington, if you have any questions at [email protected].

The Yellow Jackets won the JV Match, 25-21, 16-25, 15-10. Sophomore Gracie Barrett served five aces, while sophomore Whitney Jackson finished with two kills, seven assists and one block assist.

The Yellow Jackets will be back in action Thursday as they travel to Travelers Rest High School for a conference match. The JV match is scheduled for 5:30 p.m., while the Varsity match is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.