Cross Country Competes at Lake Murray and Canned Food Invitationals

Greer High School Freshman Tyler Jasper strides as he runs a cross country course recently. Jasper finished in 166th place in Saturday's Canned Food Drive 5K at Hillcrest High School.

Missy Yarborough

Eric Yarborough, Staff Writer

CHAPIN — Greer High School’s Cross Country Team ran well in the Lake Murray Invitational on last Saturday at the Crooked Creek Recreational Park in Chapin.

The Girl’s Cross Country team ran a strong race against such powerful competition. The Yellow Jackets finished in 30th place with 866 points. Seventh-grader Taylor Houston ran in first for Greer placing 63rd overall. Sophomore Laura Yarborough was second for Greer and got 148th overall. Junior Mandy Farmer came in third for Greer getting 171st overall.

Freshman Coen Roberts led the Boys Cross Country team again, finishing 10th overall. Following Roberts was his brother, sophomore Jay Roberts, who got 36th overall. Behind Jay Roberts, was sophomore Jacob Scudder who got 75th overall. The Boy’s Team finished in 13th place with 371 points.

Most of the team competed Wednesday at the annual Canned Food Drive 5K at Hillcrest High School. Houston led the Girl’s Team by finishing in 13th place, while senior Ian Batson led the Boy’s Team after finishing in 125th place.

The teams will be back in action Saturday at the annual Cavalier Classic at Dorman High School. The meet is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.

For more information on cross country results from the Lake Murray Invitational and the Canned Food 5K, visit: http://www.scrunners.com.