Yellow Jackets Sweep Past Devildogs in Volleyball Action

Emily Williams

Greer High School Junior Hannah Perry and Senior Candace Jensen block a shot in a recent volleyball match. The Yellow Jackets swept past Travelers Rest High School Tuesday night for their first conference win of the year.

Gabi Edwards, Staff Writer

GREER — The Greer High School Volleyball Teams defeated Travelers Rest High School Tuesday night at Greer High School in the Yellow Jackets’ first Class AAAA, Region II match of the year.

In the Varsity Match, Greer beat the Devildogs, 25-23, 25-15, 25-15. Senior Lindsey Jarecki led the Yellow Jackets with 14 kills, 10 assists and two aces, while Senior Candace Jensen added seven kills, one ace, one block and one block assist.

Senior Tori Schneider chipped-in three kills, 20 assists, three aces, one solo block and two block assists, and Senior Autumn Bridwell finished with five kills and one ace. Senior Mary Frances Edwards tallied three kills, one ace, three assists and 16 digs.

Greer High School Volleyball Coach Traci Farrington was happy with her team’s performance. “We are really pleased with the way our teams played against Travelers Rest,” said Farrington. “Our JV and Varsity have been working hard on cutting down on unforced errors and keeping the ball in play on defense.  Our hitters were able to swing hard because of consistent passing and setting. The teams are working together as a team. We believe they can accomplish any goal when they communicate and work as a team.”

In the JV Match, Greer defeated Travelers Rest, 25-15, 25-13. Freshman Ivey Bennett led the Yellow Jackets with six kills, four aces and one block. Sophomore Whitney Jackson added two aces and five assists, while Sophomore Savanna Fore served two aces and added two kills.

The Yellow Jackets will be back in action Thursday night as they travel to Eastside High School. The JV Match is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m. with the Varsity Match scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.