Greer High School Boasts Top Advanced Manufacturing Program

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Greer High School Industrial Technology and Advanced Manufacturing Lab boasts over $250,000 worth of equipment.

Emily Williams

Emily Williams

Emily Williams

Emily Robertson, Staff Writer

GREER — At Greer High School, there are a lot of programs and classes for students to take and learn. One of the newest set of courses is the Industrial Technology and Advanced Manufacturing Class.

Rick Schwartz has been teaching this class at Greer High School since 2014. This class is located in the Fine Arts Hallway.

This class teaches and shows students what technology they might learn more about at Bonds Career Center or their future jobs. In this class, Schwartz teaches students how to used machines like wood-working, metal cutting, programmable Legos, and AutoCAD.

Greer High School wants students to graduate from school and be able to find a job or go to Greenville Technical College immediately upon graduation.

Schwartz echoed this by stating his ultimate goal was for students to leave Greer High School with a career readiness. “As teachers, we all feel like we have a responsibility to influence kids in a positive direction,” Schwartz said. I feel like my responsibility is to help students discover their skills, talents, and interest and find career paths that best match that. If a person makes a career out of their hobbies and interest, they will never WORK a day in their life.”

Due to the fact that these courses are designed for Freshmen and Sophomores, those who started in the program three years ago are getting ready to graduate and move into the workplace. Some have moved to Bonds and will be participating in possible Internships with companies like BMW and General Electric.

There are two classes, Industrial Technology and Advanced Manufacturing. In the Industrial Technology class, students use programmable Legos and AutoCAD. When students get into the Advanced Manufacturing class, they go on field trips to BMW and Greenville Tech. These students also use more machines like 3D printers and wood and metal cutters.

Students enjoy taking these classes. “Even if you aren’t into manufacturing, you can learn a lot from the class,” said Junior Dalton Raines.

Other students gain an interest in manufacturing via taking these courses. ”The Intro to Manufacturing course is good to allow you to see if you’ll be interested in a career in manufacturing before you get really into a Manufacturing career,” said Junior Edgar Ramirez.

Schwartz was added to the Greer High School Faculty in 2014 after Greenville County Public Schools Superintendent Burke Royster put $250,000 towards the program. The program represents one the Graduation Plus programs at Greer High School.