Greer Boys Advance to Group AAA State Cross Country Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Houston Osborne runs recently at the Greenville County Cross Country Championships at Hillcrest High School. Osborne, and the rest of the Greer High School Boy's Cross Country Team, qualified for the Group AAA State Meet by finishing in ninth place Saturday at the Group AAA State Qualifier.

Missy Yarborough

Missy Yarborough

Missy Yarborough

Eric Yarborough, Staff Writer

SIMPSONVILLE — The Greer High School’s Boy’s and Girl’s Cross Country Teams ran at the Group AAA State Qualifier Saturday at Hillcrest High School with the Boy’s Team qualifying for the AAA State Meet by finishing in ninth place, while the Girl’s Team barely missed advancing by finishing in 10th place.

The Boy’s Cross Country Team ran an awesome race with eighth-grader Coen Roberts finishing fourth overall; his time was an impressive 16:38. Second for the Yellow Jackets was Junior Houston Osborne, who finished in 22nd place overall with a time of 17:27. Freshman Jay Roberts was third for Greer High School and 30th overall with a time of 17:30.

The Girl’s Cross Country Team ran a great race, but narrowly missed qualifying. The Yellow Jackets needed to finish in the Top 9 to qualify for the state meet. The Yellow Jackets still ran an awesome race as Sophomore Mandy Farmer lead Greer by finishing in 53rd place overall with a time 21:58. Eighth-grader Abby Lea and Freshman Laura Yarborough finished in second and third for the Yellow Jackets by claiming the 62nd and 71st place overall, respectively.

The Boy’s Team will now compete at the Group AAA State Meet on Saturday at the Sandhills Research Center in Columbia. The Boy’s race is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m.

The Yellow Jackets finished third at the state meet last year.