Cusano Sets Record, Yellow Jackets Roll Tigers, 48-14

Back to Article
Back to Article

Greer High School Senior Running Back Adrian McGee fights to gain yards in the Yellow Jackets' 48-14 win over Southside High School Friday night at Dooley Field.

Jonathan D. Duty

Jonathan D. Duty

Jonathan D. Duty

Staff Reports

GREER — The Greer High School Varsity Football Team has made many statements this season; however, the Yellow Jackets may have waited until Week 9 to make their biggest statement so far.

Greer High School rode the performance of Senior Quarterback Mario Cusano to a 48-14 drubbing of Southside High School to clinch the Region 2 Conference Championship Friday night at Dooley Field. The Tigers had come into the game with a 7-1 record and were second place in the conference.

After trading touchdowns, the Yellow Jackets (9-0 overall, 6-0 conference) would score 41 consecutive points to take a commanding 48-7 lead in the fourth quarter.

Cusano finished 19-24 for 302 yards passing and four touchdowns. He also added 72 yards rushing on 11 carries and two touchdowns. It would be a completed pass in the third quarter that would put Cusano’s name in the record books. Cusano broke Greer High School Quarterback Coach Mazzie Drummond’s career passing record of 5,665 yards.

Cusano was not the only Yellow Jacket to clinched a career mark. Senior Placekicker Nick Roberson booted his 200th career extra point in the first half.

The Yellow Jackets, who are ranked third in Group AAA and have clinched a playoff spot, will now travel to arch-rival Blue Ridge High School (2-7) on Friday night to finish the regular season. With a win, the Yellow Jackets will finish undefeated in the regular season in back-to-back seasons for the first time in school history.

Greer finished 10-0 in the regular season in 2014, before falling to Belton-Honea Path High School in the second round of the playoffs.